I keep saying: "It's summer!" Because I love summer and because somehow fate moved me from Santa Cruz where it's summery basically all the time, to Montana where it's summery not even one quarter of the time. Let's say that summer is fucking earned around here.
Anyway, I want to notice it, watch it as it rolls through my experience. Here are the first signs of summer thus far.
1. As always in summer, a european exchange student rang my doorbell trying to sell me books with a ridiculously cute accent and really heavy backpack.
2. Another peddler ding donged as well, this time trying to sell me on donating to politics (No thanks) and signing petitions (Sure). (Actually when he asked me to make a monthly donation I said No, and then he said I could make a one-time donation and I said: "I just really don't want to." He broke out into the biggest grin. I suppose he doesn't see much frank honesty in his line of work.)
3. There is a croc with dog poop on it on the back porch.
4. Henry swam in the river.
5. I bought sunscreen.
6. I put screens in windows, which also means windows are OPEN!
7. There was a fruit fly buzzing my smoothie cup.
The other signs I'm looking for, the signs that will really cement official summeriness is when I jump in the river (it's still really full and cold right now) and when twenty-somethings are spotted walking through town in bikinis with inner tubes around their waists. I mentioned this last night and Echo said: "But Mama our friend Salome wore her bikini at the lemonade stand. That counts."
So maybe we're close.
What are your official signs?