We kissed those over-the-top incredible grandparents goodbye yesterday and set off on our three-plane journey that landed us, at midnight, in the drippy Missoula valley. I want to sigh - both in sadness at departure and in pleasure at being home.
These are the things I'm grateful for this morning:
1. A good house sitter and a good pet sitter that ensured that all of our little babies - from guinea pig, to chickens, to dog, to garden - all survived and thrived.
2. That there is a loaf of bread and eggs and milk in the fridge.
3. That we made it back to see towering lupins. I didn't even remember that we had the pink variety! And yellow-gold irises and general green abundance out there! I always forget that Missoula is rainy in May and June and that all that rain means GREEN.
4. That we have sweet smelling candles to light. I never like the smell of our house when we return. I hope that doesn't mean I am self-loathsome? Maybe I'm just sensitive to house sitter scent mixed with personal absence. In any case I like the little white candles on the counter top right now.
5. Our bed.
6. Children. Echo falling asleep last night at 12:30 kept sighing and saying: "Oh mama! You're the best. This is just the best day ever." All the pleasure and gratitude running through her as she enjoys each minuscule moment, even travel moments and late night moments, is life-giving.
7. Friends that still want to celebrate my birthday even though it happened a week ago.
8. That I left presents to be opened on my return.
9. All of the wonderful people taking the Same Team parenting course.
10. Excitement about the future.
11. Having a home and family that I love.
What are you thankful for today?